Skip to main content

Ortlund: Have you come to realize how the God-centeredness of God is good news for you?



Image result for ray ortlund jr IsaiahKing Hezekiah prayed for God's salvation of Judah in Isaiah 37 v 20.

20 Now, O LORD our God, deliver us from his hand, so that all kingdoms on earth may know that you alone, O LORD, are God.”


Hezekiah finally sees what Isaiah has been saying all along. It is not this world with whom we have to deal, primarily; it is always God. The nations and powers and ideas and fashions of human making are not ultimate and definitional of us; God is. It is not human power that we need; what we need is God. He has allied himself with us not to serve our will but to defend his own glory as we serve his will.
Image result for ray ortlund jr

Have you come to realize how the God-centeredness of God is good news for you? For one thing, it means that your unworthiness is irrelevant to God’s readiness to save you. He is not responding to what you deserve; he is proving what a good Savior he is. Don’t you see? This opens up a new definition of happiness. Happiness is God being God to you. Stop praying, “Lord, I want you to make my life better.” Stop praying, “Lord, I want you to make my husband or my wife better. I want my children to behave. I want an ideal job.” When you pray that way, you can only end up frustrated, because God will not subordinate himself to any human agenda. Start praying, “Lord, I just want you to be God to me. I want my life, with my problems, to show the world that you save sinners.” 

Learn what it means to say with Paul, “It is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death” (Philippians 1:20). That is Christianity. If you’ll trust God’s goodness enough to pray for his triumph, he’ll give you everything you long for in your own deepest intentions.


Ortlund, R. C., Jr., & Hughes, R. K. (2005). Isaiah: God saves sinners (p. 217). Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Men stirred, boys exhorted, and Jesus exalted!

  Neh 8 v 13 (CSB)  13 On the second day, the family heads of all the people, along with the priests and Levites, assembled before the scribe Ezra to study the words of the law.  Notice the feel of the scene.       After that long day in the Word, it appears that the women and children were, understandably, exhausted and urged to stay home on this occasion.   And, among the men, there is a growing interest of “What else are we missing right now as it pertains to obeying God's Word?”.  So clear is the fact that the family heads, the men, came back to get more. The real sense of enthusiasm starts with the men here.  If you were an able-bodied man here, you stayed behind to get instructions so that you might be a good instructor at home. The text says these men came together  to study the words of the law .  That means to  give attention to and ponder.  This is the process of thinking through complex things, resulting in wise dealing and the use of good practical common sense. Here in

Repackaging the gospel? It's more like obscuring the gospel!

Preface : I recognize this post may make me unpopular with some, but I think it is an important issue to blog about here.  I’ve had time to reflect on this video and in my opinion, I think what is in this video raises some questions.  This gentleman featured below is slotted to speak at the SBC's 2020 Pastors' Conference and it prompted me to think more about this illustration.  I want to note that I don't know him and I have no personal issue with him.   I assume he is a brother in the LORD.  Having said that, I see some significant issues here that relate to this type of preaching being clear on the gospel of Jesus Christ. In fact, it appears to be obscuring it in my observation. Concern:  Should the SBC or churches, in general, be in the habit of holding this up as a  good and healthy example?  Let's think about it some together.  (Watch this clip below here first.) Context:  The clip was posted to stand on its own as if it were wise and sound on it

Smith: "Many people believe God opens the door of salvation and then stands back...".

  Jonah 2:9 “Salvation belongs to the LORD!”  God’s dramatic intervention in the life of Jonah is full of hope—not only for those who seek God, but also for those who, like Jonah, have determined to shut him out.  Many people believe God opens the door of salvation and then stands back, leaving it up to us to decide if we want to come in.   But if God made salvation possible and then stepped back, refusing to interfere with our choice, then the entire life of believers would be about us—our believing, our serving, our following, and our choices to live a good life.  In the case of Jonah, imprisoned in the whale’s belly, God was claiming someone who was quite incapable of performing any redeeming work to compensate for his sin. God was not relying on Jonah to save Jonah. The message remains the same for each of us today: if you have trusted God for salvation, he has done more than simply make salvation possible; he has actually saved you. Colin Smith, “Jonah,” in Gospel Transformation B